Harvest on the table: everything you wanted to know about the benefits and disadvantages of vegetables
Vegetables seem to be a universal food: they are of absolute digestive value, they have lots of vitamins, minerals and other useful food materials. That’s right but only if you know how to eat them, which features this product has and which impact it has on your somatotype.
People with Kapha somatotype doesn’t get any use of fresh vegetables because of high-level liquid content they obtain. Kapha somatotype is meant as the body which accumulates too much water inside that is why the big quantity of vegetables leads to water stagnation. We advise eating dried or fried vegetables instead.
People with Vata somatotype find vegetables too cold. That is the vegetables with oil and thermal treatment vegetables will be better for them.
People with Pitta body type may and should eat as many vegetables as they want. If you have gastritis or hyperacidity — Amla-Pitta type — vegetables may be dangerous because they increase the water component of Pitta. As you may have already known, Pitta consists of two elements — Fire and Water. Amla-Pitta is a state when there is too much Water but not enough Fire. This situation leads to acid excess, ama, etc.
The first rule of Ayurveda tells that a quarter of your meal should be consisted of vegetables
- Cabbage is the only universal vegetable that is good enough for any body type. A salad made of fresh cabbage, a pinch of chili, lemon juice and a drop of mustard oil is perfect for Kapha. Chopped cabbage with a bit of salt and sunflower oil is great for Pitta body type. People with Vata will benefit from stewed cabbage and sauerkraut while they should avoid the fresh one.
- Potato is a healthy vegetable too. There are many different opinions about its nutritional value and influence on your body. It depends on how it was cooked. You can boil, fry or bake potatoes. As any other Solanaceae plant, it requires fire as an antidote. If potatoes are cooked properly, amylum is lost and the dish becomes lighter. The highest level of amylum is in a baked potato. In the meantime, it is a nutritious product too. For example, you can replace 3-4 slices of bread with a single one potato. This vegetable consists of many vitamins, it neutralizes the acid excess in the digestive tract. It helps to reduce the risk of gastritis and stomach ulcers. However, amylum is incompatible with fatty meat. So a dish that includes roasted meat and potatoes is very difficult to digest. It is better to use mushrooms instead of meat to get healthier food.
- Eggplant is a Solanaceae plant too and it helps decrease Vata. Cooked properly, it will suit Kapha too. It is worth mentioning that this vegetable includes Solanine M — the special substance that makes them a little bit bitter. If the concentration is high, eggplants may be dangerous. Proper thermal treatment is required.
- Carrot suits both Vata and Kapha but provokes Pitta. This root plant stimulates the acidity and so it is forbidden to drink carrot juice if you have a stomach ulcer, colitis or gastritis. The ones who have diabetes should be careful with carrots too because they contain sucrose.
- Tomatoes deserve additional attention. Ripe fruit should not be sour. If it hasn’t ripened yet, it starts a powerful acid reaction and brings rasa (taste) and prabhava (dangerous influence after the digestion process). Those tomatoes are not allowed for Kapha and Pitta somatotypes. If a tomato is ripe and well-accumulated the energy of the sun, it is good for both Pitta and Vata because the sweetness neutralizes fire. Thus, it is very important to check which tomato you eat.
- Cucumber is an example of one more universal vegetable. They have a cooling effect that is required for summer. We can recommend cucumbers for Vata and Pitta somatotypes, while people with Kapha type should not eat too many of them.
- Onion can be different — hot or sweet. Sweet onion is good for Vata and, in some cases, for Kapha. It combines many vitamins and antiseptics and protects your body from bacteria and fungi. But do not eat too many onions, it is a rajasic product that provokes passion, aggression and stimulates the nervous system heavily. If you have problems with the stomach, take it carefully — it can cause ulcers.
- Garlic is both the medicine and the spice. Pitta people shouldn’t eat it in any case. It is a rajasic and tamasic product, it may provoke the overexcitement and dull consciousness. As a medicine (in the form of extract, powder, mixture) it can be used to treat cardiovascular morbidities, to kill bacteria or fungi, to help with dysbacteriosis. Garlic includes essential oils that are secreted by the skin, so its smell is felt for several days.
- Beets, especially raw, can excite Pitta and increase the acidity at the same time. People with Kapha somatotype must not eat it at all because its sweetness increases dosha. When beets vegetable is boiled, it reduces Pitta and balances Vata.
The scientists claim that vegetables are completely safe but some dangerous aspects may appear because of human intervention. It is important how the seeds were processed, which pesticides were used to remove weed and so on. Garden plants have a primitive root system that needs fluid and nutrients. They get the required minerals right from the soil and can’t filter anything because of a thin stem. Everything the soil has goes to a vegetable and then to our body.
Borsch is a good example of harmony between various vegetables in a one dish.
The best way to eat vegetables — is to choose different ones and do not take too many. If you have enteropathy, choose your diet wisely.